New Electric Accounts and New Electric Services
New Electric Accounts
To set up a new account for electric service please contact the Utility Office at 907-747-1818 or visit the Utility web page for more information
New Electric Services
New temporary electrical service, new permanent electrical service, or upgrading an existing electrical service requires the following:
- Contact the Electric Department at 105 Jarvis Street, at 907-747-4000, for information you may need on service location, meter location, design, load requirements, voltage requirements and special equipment. The Electric Department has on file several specification sheets, which are based on the National Electric Standards Code. If a customer is interested in going over this Code themselves, there are copies at the Electric Department and at the Library. Some of the specification sheets available have been added to this website. To see these specification sheets, click on one of the following: permanent underground service (page 1 and page 2), temporary overhead service (page 1, page 2 and page 3), temporary underground service (page 1, page 2 and page 3), trench requirements (page 1, page 2 and page 3), meter base requirements, meter base location and mounting, metering equipment clearance and access, multiple metered buildings, current transformer metering, and meter sealing program. Both the Electric Department and the Building Department look for adherence to these standards when they inspect.
- The next step to getting permanent or temporary electrical service, or to upgrade electrical service, is to get a building permit. Go to the Building Department, 100 Lincoln Street, second floor, and obtain a building permit application. Information to include with the building permit application is: location of new or upgraded service, proximity to existing service (if applicable), location of any other buildings on the property, location of property lines, and the size of service (amps).
- After the Building Department reviews the permit application, which typically takes two to four working days for a simple project, you will be called and advised that your permit is ready to pick up. At the time you pick up the building permit, you will be asked to go to the Customer Service counter at 100 Lincoln Street, first floor, and to pay for any fees which might be applicable. If you require the Electric Department to install power to the structure (house or building) itself, a fee and additional actual costs will be charged, which include equipment, labor and materials. At that time, you must also request the Customer Service counter to initiate the applicable work order for the Electric Department.
- When the work is ready for inspection, the customer calls the Building Department to schedule an inspection.
- The Building Department inspects and affixes a green tag to the service when it passes inspection.
- The Building Department advises the Electric Department that the installation has passed inspection and the Electric Department energizes service.
- All URD conduit must be inspected by the Electric Department prior to filling the trench.
For further information please see the Sitka General Code.
Note: Any change of account status or service location may require that you contact the Customer Service counter at (907) 747-1818.
City and Borough of Sitka, Electric Department
105 Jarvis Street, Sitka, Alaska 99835
(907)747-4000, Emergency number (24 hours a day): 907-747-6634 Fax: 907-747-3208
Business Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m