The Sitka Police Department is here to serve and protect the members and community of the City and Borough of Sitka. Below are some services that may be helpful to you:
- TWIC, HAZMAT Endorsement and TSA Pre-Check! SPD now has the capability to issue TWIC cards and HAZMAT Endorsements to eligible transportation workers and enroll people in the TSA Pre-Check Program. Interested persons should first visit the Transportation Security website for program details and to set up an appointment for an enrollment. Advance notice is required for all appointments.
- Welfare Check - If you are concerned about the whereabouts or condition of a loved one, please call us at 907-747-3245. We can send a police officer to a residence, etc to check on their welfare.
- Bike Rodeo - Members of SPD partner with other local organizations to hold a Bike Rodeo. While the kids always have fun riding through the obstacle course that is set up, SPD focuses on teaching kids about bicycle safety and getting bikes registered to make recovering a lost or stolen bike easier. Bicycle licenses can also be obtained any time at the Police Department.
- Bike Auction - When SPD has accumulated too many abandoned bikes to be storing, we hold a bike auction that is open to the public. Bikes are sold as-is and an auction is held about twice/year.
- Lost and Found - If you have lost an item around town, call the police department at 907-747-3245. It is possible that someone turned it in to us. In the same manner, if you find an item that belongs to someone else, please drop it off so that we can try to find its rightful owner.
- 30-day-parking permit - This permit is issued by our Traffic Officer and allows the user to park up to 30 days in any City owned 10-day parking area. Most of these locations are in Harbor parking lots. Please call 907-747-3245 for more information.
- Reconstructed Vehicle Inspections - Vehicles that have been rebuilt after being declared totaled are inspected to verify that they are street legal.
- Commercial Operator Vehicle Inspection - This vehicle inspection is for tour permit holders' vehicles. Vehicles are inspected to make sure they comply with all safety regulations.